Seattle Net Tuesday
Net Tuesday is a monthly event at the intersection of social change and technology. Events combine organizations in need, interesting speakers, an eclectic group of able and willing technologists, and a few good drinks.
Find Net Tuesday in your city via its parent organization, Net Squared.
Seattle Net Tuesday recently organized an Online Makeover — Nonprofit Edition. Tech savvy members volunteered to solve technical challenges and improve organizations’ web sites and social media strategies.
While at Seattle Net Tuesday and following up after the event, I advised Vote Clean Seattle on
- (1) other recent, small, social media based fundraising efforts as a model, including for technology to track and show progress
- (2) local organizations who may be interested in partnering with VCS, and
- (3) running a WordPress based web site to simplify inclusion of other online presence in their site.
More than a dozen volunteers offered them lots of practical, mostly technical advice. It was a fulfilling and informative experience for everyone.
Seattle Net Tuesday has featured many organizations, speakers, and formats, always staying fresh, productive, and fun, too. I have updated this post a dozen or so times to highlight upcoming or recent Tuesdays, and in a few cases I have written additional posts or articles, here or elsewhere online to do the same. On Tuesday, August 25 for example, we enjoyed “two dynamite speakers” discussing their organizations’ volunteer outreach online.
On Twitter, you may find dozens of organizers, attendees, and me! tweeting about Seattle Net Tuesday. I’ve recently helped get them going with a Twitter account for the event itself @SeaNet2. That’s not getting a lot of use as of yet though, so connect with
- * Sarah Schacht @sarahschacht
- * Jessica Dally @JessicaDally
- * Sameer Siruguri @siruguri
- * or with me @brianglanz
My Seattle Net Tuesday archives include these articles:
- * The Haas Foundation
- * Knowledge As Power — Everyday Democracy
- * Online Video Service, Inc. :: Seattle Net Tuesday Notes
- * Noonhat — Toss Your Social Salad
- * Itchmo :: Seattle Net Tuesday Notes
This Net Squared presentation discusses Community Voice Mail’s use of Second Life for networking: